So these guys are done. I know that means this is less of a “work-in-progress” post. But this group of Chaos Space Marines, who are for now in my Khorne Daemonkin army, I think deserves a final “work-in-progress” post.
Throughout the highlight stage of this squad I considered doing a highlight of brighter red on the armor plates. As I finished up the other highlights, however, I became less and less enamored of the idea. Given that I had some good contrast on the red parts anyway, thanks to the wash, and there were plenty of highlights on the trim, weapons, and other paraphernalia, I decided to not worry about it.
This squad definitely has its strong points and weak points. I like how the reds and metals came out. And I liked how the washes interacted with the colors. The eye pieces, on which I used the gem technique, were very inconsistent, on the other hand. Some were right on the nose; others didn’t look right even after two or three attempts.
Such is life while painting. From the modeling perspective, I’m really glad I added the extra bits from the Chaos Space Marine sprues. Yes it was a little extra work, but the result was worth it. And besides, they look more bulky and so will hopefully not look too dwarfed on the table by the new Primaris Marines.
I’m going to try to get a game in now with these guys. I’ve got a full 1500 points now, all in the proper colors. No more need to borrow from my Black Legion. Also, I’m going to try and post a full army shot sometime tomorrow. That’ll show all the Khorne Daemonkin glory!
Anyway, this means it’s on to the next project!