Work-in-progress Wednesday: “completed” today

Got this Helbrute in under the wire. I didn’t take pictures of the “in-progress” portion because my free time was taken up actually painting this model. That said, I was able to get it in under the wire to my local Games Workshop store and register it as a completion for the campaign. The local manager counts three colors and a base as “done” and I went well past that here:

New Helbrute, completed, front

This Helbrute is, of course, from the old Dark Vengeance set. I decided to paint him up in World Eater colors, so I can add to that army. I mean, shouldn’t every proper World Eaters army have at least one Helbrute? Only seems natural to me. Anyway, I’ve got to give it to the “base coat, then shade” method Duncan uses on Warhammer TV. It gets models done fast, and they actually look fairly good. Really, the shades are the key. Of all the moves GW has made with their paints range, the addition of the shades is a huge, huge benefit. You don’t have to really dilute them (unlike the old inks) and they really do flow into recesses well.

Continue reading “Work-in-progress Wednesday: “completed” today”

Updates on completions for Death Guard

So I’ve been involved much less than I’d like in the Konor campaign. I’ve been enjoying it, even though the result might be a foregone conclusion. Games Workshop has done an excellent job on the campaign website and I’m fortunate enough to live near a couple stores that have player bases that are actively engaged in the campaign. But the Konor campaign isn’t really the point of this post. I realized that I hadn’t posted an update on my Foetid Bloat-drone in my past couple of entries, and I have updates on other models. Well, here goes.

I’m pretty pleased with how the Foetid Bloat-drone came out. I’m glad I still had some stuff left from my Citadel Warhammer 40,000 basing materials kit. Sadly, those are out of print. But the stuff I scrounged from it makes the base look good. I couldn’t resist painting the damaged Space Marine helmet in Ultramarine colors. For the Bloat-drone itself, I followed the basic recipe you get from Duncan on Warhammer TV for the Lord of Contagion. I’m liking how the Rakarth Flesh -> Druchii Violet -> Pallid Wych Flesh comes out. I’ll certainly use that series on the rest of my Death Guard models for flesh and tentacles. I also like how the optical sensor came out and glad I left that until last.

Continue reading “Updates on completions for Death Guard”

More adventures on Konor

Another week of the Fate of Konor campaign draws to a close. I had another battle on Friday, this time against Blood Angels. The Games Workshop store where we played was suggesting a 35 Power Level game, but since my opponent and I had much more than that, we played a game around 100 Power Levels. I ran my Death Guard and my opponent brought his Blood Angels.

2nd Konor battle, turn 1

This was my first time playing against Blood Angels in the new edition of Warhammer 40,000. I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. I knew my opponent had several drop pods, and since scatter is no longer a part of the game, I wondered what kind of threat that would be for my force.

Continue reading “More adventures on Konor”

Bringing rot to Konor

I played my first game in the Fate of Konor global campaign on Sunday, and my third game in 8th edition. I’m not sure if the campaign is structured this way in other places, but at my local GW store, the first week was for games with a Patrol detachment. We were looking at about 30 Power Levels (plus or minus a few). No other restrictions were put on what we could take. I took a group of my Death Guard. My opponent ran Ultramarines, but all Primaris. To say the least, I was a little anxious as I hadn’t faced off against Primaris Marines yet.

My list included two 5-man Plague Marine squads, a Chaos Rhino, a Chaos Spawn and Typhus. The Plague Marine squads I kitted out the same way: two plasma guns, and then swapped the champion’s boltgun and bolt pistol for a power fist and plasma gun. That meant I could belt out at least six plasma shots each round. My opponent had two Intercessor squads, an Assault Terminators squad, a Primaris Lieutenant, and a Primaris Captain.

We played on a 4′ x 4′ table and used this week’s Konor campaign mission. I deployed my Death Guard in something of a gun line at the leading edge of my deployment zone. I also held Typhus for a teleport strike. My opponent set up his Space Marines in a cluster, near the center edge of his deployment zone, with his Terminators out front. You can get a sense of how things looked in this photo. I was supposed to go first, but he rolled a six on his Seize the Initiative roll. Of course!

Continue reading “Bringing rot to Konor”