Second squad of Plague Marines is completed!

I had a nice block of hobby time available the other day, so I was able to finish up my second group of Plague Marines. The basing and varnishing went pretty smoothly and they are now ready for the tabletop.

Plague Marines, second squad, completed

This will give me a plasma gun group and a blight launcher group. I’ll need to get another box of Plague Marines to finish out my third squad with melta guns. That said, I’m pleased with how these guys turned out, and I think I learned a couple things from the Dark Imperium squad.

Continue reading “Second squad of Plague Marines is completed!”

WIP Wednesday: Plague Marines shambling along

I don’t do enough posts on Wednesday about what I’m working on. I’m hoping to change that. So here is a quick update on my Plague Marines. I’ve gotten just over half of them through the highlighting stage. That leaves four left. I’m pretty pleased with how they are progressing. I apologize for the bad lighting in these photos.

Plague Marines, second squad, halfway done

I did the champions first as I knew they would have the most diverse color palette. They also probably have the most detail. I knew I would invariably miss details as I tried to paint them in production line fashion. That gets to be time-consuming. So I figured I’d paint the most time-consuming models first to avoid any chance of fatigue or burn-out or whatever. It’s worked well so far!

Continue reading “WIP Wednesday: Plague Marines shambling along”

Quick update: Plague Marines

I’m just doing a quick update here. I’ve been busy with my second squad of plastic Plague Marines since I finished my Warp Talons. The squad is now painted up with all the base colors and I’m starting in on the shading. Here’s how the Plague Marines looked the other day:

Plague Marines, second squad, base colors

These guys continue to impress me with the amount of detail. The problem is that I keep having to go back as I block in the base colors because I find I keep missing this or that little detail with a color I thought I was finished with. This has added some time to the painting process, but I want to get them looking as good as I can. There is quite a diversity among the Plague Marines as far as their armor goes. I did use a lot of the same helmets – I did that without even thinking about it.

Continue reading “Quick update: Plague Marines”

Warp Talons enter the Black Legion

I was able to finish my unit of Warp Talons and get them varnished. I have to say, while the detailed Chaos Space Marine models look very cool, they also take quite some time to paint thanks to that same detail. It’s a bit of work in getting models like this done. That said, I’m pleased with how these Warp Talons turned out.

Warp Talons, completed

The Blighted Gold I used on the trim does make them stand out a little from my other Black Legion models. It’s definitely a darker, less red gold. For the varnish I used ‘Ard Coat and probably a bit too much of it. Even after a couple washes of Lahmian Medium the models still have some shiny areas. Kind of disappointing, but given how many sharp edges and points are on these models, I’d rather have them shiny than a bunch of areas with chipped off paint.

Continue reading “Warp Talons enter the Black Legion”

Taking some older models off the shelf

I wasn’t able to get the white primer I needed right away for my next batch of Plague Marines. So I took a look at my shelf to see what stuff was still a work-in-progress and what needed updating. As it turned out, I had a set of Warp Talons I’d been meaning to complete, as well as a couple units I needed to add my base adapters to. I decided to get cracking on those rather than sit and wait until I could get the primer I needed.

Warp Talons highlights

First up was my unit of Warp Talons. These guys were started back during the Fate of Konor campaign. I did them up in at least three colors just to score points during one of the painting challenges. They’ve been languishing ever since. But I’ve wanted to roll them into my Black Legion force and so I got working on them. I’d already done the base colors I needed as well as the washes. I just needed to do the highlights – though they are pretty detailed models which meant quite a bit of highlight work.

Continue reading “Taking some older models off the shelf”