Adding to my Khorne Daemonkin army

So it’s been a couple months with no posts. That doesn’t mean I haven’t been working on stuff. But I have slowed down just a bit. I am working on a couple different projects, one of which is a Rhino for my Khorne Daemonkin. I’ve decided to stop using my Black Legion Rhino for my Daemonkin army and paint one up in Khornate colors.

As you can see, I’ve put the model together an primed it. At first glance, it probably doesn’t look like much. But look closer. See the trim? Yeah, it’s pretty awesome. I ordered a couple Chaos Rhino trim kits from The Dark Works in the fall, and decided to use one on the Khornate Rhino. This kit is the “Mk. II” set. I think the extra gold trim will really make the model pop, looking much better than the otherwise mundane red.

Continue reading “Adding to my Khorne Daemonkin army”

Making headway on multiple projects

I’ve had a bit of a layoff on blogging recently, mainly as a result of limited free time. Additionally, I’ve contracted a bit of a case of multiple project syndrome. That’s where instead of focusing on one assembly/painting project, you start two or three or more. As such, the first one up is the main project I’ve been working on – a Skull Cannon of Khorne:

Skull Cannon, shaded

So this one has been a bit of work just because it is so darned detailed. Trying to make sure I’ve painted all the details, and have them the right colors and shades has been a bit of work. But it’s coming along now. I’ve got it to the shading stage and next up is doing some highlights.

Continue reading “Making headway on multiple projects”

Maulerfiend finished!

I actually finished up this Khorne Daemonkin Maulerfiend a couple of days ago, but real life intruded, as it often does. Also, free time since my last post was in short supply so I used what free time I had to actually finish work on the model rather than post updates. That said, the second dino-bot is finished:

The only difference with this model is I haven’t painted the alternative magnetized pieces for the Forgefiend yet.

Continue reading “Maulerfiend finished!”

Quick painting update: Maulerfiend

I’m making progress on my other Maulerfiend and I now have all the base coats on. This phase of painting is the one I always feel is the longest, just because I end up having to go back and make so many corrections with paint going to places I didn’t intend.

First Maulerfiend, with base coats

With this one, I feel I was able to improve my technique a bit. That may sound strange from someone who’s been at this for so long (13 years, off and on), but my basing technique has always been a little slapdash, especially when thinning the paints.

Continue reading “Quick painting update: Maulerfiend”

Return to the dinobots

Well, after completing my Call of Chaos vow, I went back to working on my Khorne Daemonkin units. In this case, it’s my two Maulerfiends. They were part of another painting challenge I failed to complete, but I’ve made headway now. One of them is just in the priming stage:

First Maulerfiend, primed

The other I have actually completed. You probably notice that the lasher tendrils are off the model above. If you remember from my last post about these guys, I magnetized the changeable components. You can probably even see part of the magnet in the socket there on the side. I have to say, I really am glad I took the time to magnetize these guys. From a painting perspective, it’s nice because there are areas that would be hard to get to with a brush, but that are still very much visible. Being able to remove intervening parts has been really convenient.

Continue reading “Return to the dinobots”