Finishing a neglected unit: Plaguebearers of Nurgle

I’m one of those folks who have more miniatures boxes than they have time to assemble. Time for hobbying is scant, unfortunately, but I always end up getting that next unit before I’m finished with my backlog. In some cases, this has led to the neglect of units for years. And it’s not just assembling them; many a time I’ve left a unit in some intermediate stage of painting for months, or even years. Such is the case with these Plaguebearers of Nurgle.

A completed unit of Plague Bearers, via the "dip" method.
A completed unit of Plague Bearers, via the “dip” method.

This unit was purchased not too long after GW brought out the five-model box of Plaguebearers, as I needed them for what I was sure to be a Daemon army. As such, I wanted them to be in the same style as my other Nurgle stuff, so I was planning to use the dip method. It was a great way to buzz through line troops when you were putting together an army. However, the models instead did a lot of extended sitting. First these guys sat with a primer coat. Then they sat for a time with just basecoats. Eventually, I got around to dipping them, and then they sat again. Finally, this past weekend, I put on a dry-brush layer of highlight and did basing, and now they are finished.

Continue reading “Finishing a neglected unit: Plaguebearers of Nurgle”

Review: Eccentric Miniatures 25mm-to-32mm base adapters

Raptors with adapters
Old Chaos Raptors with base adapters added

With the ongoing shift in base sizes for Warhammer 40,000 armies in power armor, those of us with older armies face a bit of a dilemma; do we pull our marine models off their old 25mm bases and glue them on new 32mm bases, or do we continue to play with models with the smaller bases, even as we add new models with the new, larger base size? And what of older, metal models in our collection that went into slotted bases. You can’t just rip them off the old base and glue them to a new base. Well, not easily at any rate.

Continue reading “Review: Eccentric Miniatures 25mm-to-32mm base adapters”

Working on a Dino-bot (or two!)

It’s been way too long since my last post. Over a month, in fact. That’s a bit shameful. Anyway, I tried to keep up with the E Tenebrae Lux V competition over at the Bolter & Chainsword, but I just couldn’t do it. Too much real life came tumbling down on my head. That said, I did get work done on one of my models, so that’s a lot better than previous building and painting challenges I’ve been involved in over there. So without further ado, here’s what I’ve been working on (off and on):

The first dino-bot I built.
The first dino-bot I built.

I’ve been working on two Forgefiends/Maulerfiends. The “/” is because I’ve magnetized the heck out of these things, allowing me to convert the fiends to any configuration I want. The magnets hold pretty well, though there are a couple places I used smaller magnets when I should have gone Continue reading “Working on a Dino-bot (or two!)”