Update: Making progress on the Foetid Bloat-drone

Painting hasn’t gone quite as quickly as I hoped this past week. Partly because I spent some free time actually playing my first couple of 8th edition games. As such, I didn’t have as much time for painting. But I did get some work done on the Foetid Bloat-drone for my Death Guard.

I finished the base coats and the shading. I’m about 75 percent done with the highlights. I picked up a pot of Ogryn Camo the other day, and I think it’s a great highlight for the Vallejo Camouflage Green. On the “antlers” I went over the Zandri Dust with Ushabti Bone and then Screaming Skull. For the ichor coming off the antlers, I layered Incubi Darkness, Kabalite Green, and Sybarite Green. For the flesh, I used a base coat of Rakarth Flesh, then shaded the flesh with Druchii Violet. I then went back over most of the flesh areas again with Rakarth Flesh. I’ll finish that up with some Pallid Wych Flesh.

Continue reading “Update: Making progress on the Foetid Bloat-drone”

Seduced by the dark side… again!

It seems every time I try to start a loyalist Space Marine army, I end up getting sucked back into the Warp after I finish the first squad. With the new models for Death Guard in the house, I couldn’t help myself. So the Dark Angels are back on the shelf. Just for the moment, I hope.

New Death Guard being painting

Right now, I’m painting the Foetid Bloat-drone and the squad of Plague Marines. Adding those units to my current Death Guard army will put it in the neighborhood of 2000 points. That’s what I want to have ready for the upcoming world-wide campaign. With a little bit of luck, I’ll be finished painting these models by the campaign’s start date.

Continue reading “Seduced by the dark side… again!”

First Dark Angels pass the finish line

It’s been a couple weeks. I’ve kept my Dark Angels moving through the painting process and now I have a full group of them painted, as well as the company commander. Well, I am missing the appropriate sergeant, but more on him later. As it stands, I have nine Dark Angels done and the company commander. I was able to get the proper paint color for doing the highlighting. I still ended up with a Tron-like effect, but it’s much more muted.

First completed Dark Angels squad

One thing I need to work on is the edge highlighting technique. The lines on these minis are a bit inconsistent in the width. I think I’m also going to scale back the number of edges I highlight from “darn near everything” to a more reasonable level. Looking back over the minis and thinking about it, probably not every line I did needed to have a highlight. Still, it looks pretty good from a table-top eye view – as in the distance your eye normally would be over them minis if you were playing a game.

Continue reading “First Dark Angels pass the finish line”

WIP Wednesday: Dark Angels tactical squad

I’ve done a little more work on my Dark Angels. Going back over the greens, reds, and tans after doing the shading took a lot longer than I thought. I finally got it done a couple days ago and now have started the highlighting work. So far, I’ve only done the squad markings, boltgun casings, and the purity seal wax.

Dark Angels squad, first highlights

That’s because I started doing the green armor highlight only to realize I had the wrong color green for it. You can see this on the far left Dark Angel marine in the picture. I’ve been using the Vallejo Game Color paint for the armor, and instead of using Sick Green as the first highlight, I used Goblin Green.

Continue reading “WIP Wednesday: Dark Angels tactical squad”

Painting update: Darker Dark Angels

I’ve had to divide my free time over the last week between reading up on 8th edition and doing a little painting. I got the new Dark Imperium starter box, and I’ve enjoyed going through the contents. I’ll post up my thoughts on int at a later date. Even with the excitement of the new edition, I’ve tried not to neglect my painting.

Dark Angels squad, shaded

Work continues on my Dark Angels. I finished up the last of the base coat details on the squad and the company master. I then applied some shade in the form of Nuln Oil. The squad is now a bit darker than it was and I think the shade has really helped define all the details on these Dark Angel models.

Continue reading “Painting update: Darker Dark Angels”