Second squad of Plague Marines is completed!

I had a nice block of hobby time available the other day, so I was able to finish up my second group of Plague Marines. The basing and varnishing went pretty smoothly and they are now ready for the tabletop.

Plague Marines, second squad, completed

This will give me a plasma gun group and a blight launcher group. I’ll need to get another box of Plague Marines to finish out my third squad with melta guns. That said, I’m pleased with how these guys turned out, and I think I learned a couple things from the Dark Imperium squad.

Continue reading “Second squad of Plague Marines is completed!”

WIP Wednesday: Plague Marine highlights done

Well it’s been a busy week, but here I am posting on a Wednesday again! I was able to finish up the highlights on my Plague Marine squad. They are really close to being done now.

Plague Marines, second squad, highlights

Thankfully, the highlights were pretty uniform. I think I might do these guys in smaller chunks in the future. Say like four or five at a time. One of the things I did was to use the blue glaze I’ve used on the plasma power coils for the lenses on some of the Plague Marines.  This is in line with my older models where I used layer of blue to gem the eye lenses. I wanted to try something different here, and I think it worked. It’s not quite as striking as the gem effect, but it still works.

Continue reading “WIP Wednesday: Plague Marine highlights done”

WIP Wednesday: Plague Marines shambling along

I don’t do enough posts on Wednesday about what I’m working on. I’m hoping to change that. So here is a quick update on my Plague Marines. I’ve gotten just over half of them through the highlighting stage. That leaves four left. I’m pretty pleased with how they are progressing. I apologize for the bad lighting in these photos.

Plague Marines, second squad, halfway done

I did the champions first as I knew they would have the most diverse color palette. They also probably have the most detail. I knew I would invariably miss details as I tried to paint them in production line fashion. That gets to be time-consuming. So I figured I’d paint the most time-consuming models first to avoid any chance of fatigue or burn-out or whatever. It’s worked well so far!

Continue reading “WIP Wednesday: Plague Marines shambling along”

Quick update: Plague Marines

I’m just doing a quick update here. I’ve been busy with my second squad of plastic Plague Marines since I finished my Warp Talons. The squad is now painted up with all the base colors and I’m starting in on the shading. Here’s how the Plague Marines looked the other day:

Plague Marines, second squad, base colors

These guys continue to impress me with the amount of detail. The problem is that I keep having to go back as I block in the base colors because I find I keep missing this or that little detail with a color I thought I was finished with. This has added some time to the painting process, but I want to get them looking as good as I can. There is quite a diversity among the Plague Marines as far as their armor goes. I did use a lot of the same helmets – I did that without even thinking about it.

Continue reading “Quick update: Plague Marines”

Taking some older models off the shelf

I wasn’t able to get the white primer I needed right away for my next batch of Plague Marines. So I took a look at my shelf to see what stuff was still a work-in-progress and what needed updating. As it turned out, I had a set of Warp Talons I’d been meaning to complete, as well as a couple units I needed to add my base adapters to. I decided to get cracking on those rather than sit and wait until I could get the primer I needed.

Warp Talons highlights

First up was my unit of Warp Talons. These guys were started back during the Fate of Konor campaign. I did them up in at least three colors just to score points during one of the painting challenges. They’ve been languishing ever since. But I’ve wanted to roll them into my Black Legion force and so I got working on them. I’d already done the base colors I needed as well as the washes. I just needed to do the highlights – though they are pretty detailed models which meant quite a bit of highlight work.

Continue reading “Taking some older models off the shelf”