More models for the Konor campaign

This week I wasn’t able to get a game in for the Konor campaign, but I was able to finish two Chaos psyker models to add points to Chaos at the local store. This actually helped get the score close to even at the shop. A few last minute completions from other folks help win the local GW for Chaos. Previously, I’d posted some pics of the Black Legion sorcerer. Here are some shots of the completed Malignant Plaguecaster:

This was an interesting model. I’ve used the same painting process I’m using on the rest of my Plague Marine squad from the Dark Imperium box, and the same I used on the Noxious Blightbringer. The one different here from the Blightbringer is that I used purple for the robes – in this case: Naggaroth Night, shaded with Druchii Violet, then layered with Xereus Purple. I’d have done a final layer of Genestealer Purple, but none of the local shops had it in stock.

Continue reading “More models for the Konor campaign”

Quick update on the Chaos psykers

Unfortunately I didn’t get to play today. The local Games Workshop was closed. But progress on my Chaos psykers is moving quickly. In fact, I got one of them to such a state of readiness that I expected to use him in a game. Alas, that was not to be. That gave me time to really complete him. So here is my newest Black Legion sorcerer:

Metal Sorcerer, completed, front

For whatever reason, primer seems to bond better with plastic than metal. That means both better adherence to the model and smoother, cleaner surfaces to paint. Also, the small details on the old metal models are just not that well done. Recesses in the new plastics are much deeper. That means the shades really help details pop on the newer models. On the metal ones, you still have to kinda “brute force” the highlights. It’s tedious and often frustrating.

Continue reading “Quick update on the Chaos psykers”

Updates on completions for Death Guard

So I’ve been involved much less than I’d like in the Konor campaign. I’ve been enjoying it, even though the result might be a foregone conclusion. Games Workshop has done an excellent job on the campaign website and I’m fortunate enough to live near a couple stores that have player bases that are actively engaged in the campaign. But the Konor campaign isn’t really the point of this post. I realized that I hadn’t posted an update on my Foetid Bloat-drone in my past couple of entries, and I have updates on other models. Well, here goes.

I’m pretty pleased with how the Foetid Bloat-drone came out. I’m glad I still had some stuff left from my Citadel Warhammer 40,000 basing materials kit. Sadly, those are out of print. But the stuff I scrounged from it makes the base look good. I couldn’t resist painting the damaged Space Marine helmet in Ultramarine colors. For the Bloat-drone itself, I followed the basic recipe you get from Duncan on Warhammer TV for the Lord of Contagion. I’m liking how the Rakarth Flesh -> Druchii Violet -> Pallid Wych Flesh comes out. I’ll certainly use that series on the rest of my Death Guard models for flesh and tentacles. I also like how the optical sensor came out and glad I left that until last.

Continue reading “Updates on completions for Death Guard”

First Dark Angels pass the finish line

It’s been a couple weeks. I’ve kept my Dark Angels moving through the painting process and now I have a full group of them painted, as well as the company commander. Well, I am missing the appropriate sergeant, but more on him later. As it stands, I have nine Dark Angels done and the company commander. I was able to get the proper paint color for doing the highlighting. I still ended up with a Tron-like effect, but it’s much more muted.

First completed Dark Angels squad

One thing I need to work on is the edge highlighting technique. The lines on these minis are a bit inconsistent in the width. I think I’m also going to scale back the number of edges I highlight from “darn near everything” to a more reasonable level. Looking back over the minis and thinking about it, probably not every line I did needed to have a highlight. Still, it looks pretty good from a table-top eye view – as in the distance your eye normally would be over them minis if you were playing a game.

Continue reading “First Dark Angels pass the finish line”

WIP Wednesday: Khorne Daemonkin CSM squad completed

So these guys are done. I know that means this is less of a “work-in-progress” post. But this group of Chaos Space Marines, who are for now in my Khorne Daemonkin army, I think deserves a final “work-in-progress” post.

Khorne Daemonkin CSM squad, completed, front

Throughout the highlight stage of this squad I considered doing a highlight of brighter red on the armor plates. As I finished up the other highlights, however, I became less and less enamored of the idea. Given that I had some good contrast on the red parts anyway, thanks to the wash, and there were plenty of highlights on the trim, weapons, and other paraphernalia, I decided to not worry about it. Continue reading “WIP Wednesday: Khorne Daemonkin CSM squad completed”