Warp Talons enter the Black Legion

I was able to finish my unit of Warp Talons and get them varnished. I have to say, while the detailed Chaos Space Marine models look very cool, they also take quite some time to paint thanks to that same detail. It’s a bit of work in getting models like this done. That said, I’m pleased with how these Warp Talons turned out.

Warp Talons, completed

The Blighted Gold I used on the trim does make them stand out a little from my other Black Legion models. It’s definitely a darker, less red gold. For the varnish I used ‘Ard Coat and probably a bit too much of it. Even after a couple washes of Lahmian Medium the models still have some shiny areas. Kind of disappointing, but given how many sharp edges and points are on these models, I’d rather have them shiny than a bunch of areas with chipped off paint.

Continue reading “Warp Talons enter the Black Legion”

Taking some older models off the shelf

I wasn’t able to get the white primer I needed right away for my next batch of Plague Marines. So I took a look at my shelf to see what stuff was still a work-in-progress and what needed updating. As it turned out, I had a set of Warp Talons I’d been meaning to complete, as well as a couple units I needed to add my base adapters to. I decided to get cracking on those rather than sit and wait until I could get the primer I needed.

Warp Talons highlights

First up was my unit of Warp Talons. These guys were started back during the Fate of Konor campaign. I did them up in at least three colors just to score points during one of the painting challenges. They’ve been languishing ever since. But I’ve wanted to roll them into my Black Legion force and so I got working on them. I’d already done the base colors I needed as well as the washes. I just needed to do the highlights – though they are pretty detailed models which meant quite a bit of highlight work.

Continue reading “Taking some older models off the shelf”

First new Plague Marine squad finished, and modifying the second squad

It’s taken a while, but I finally got my first set of the new plastic Plague Marines finished. I should say, these are the Plague Marines from the Dark Imperium box set, not the multi-part kit. Still it’s nice to have them off the painting bench and ready for the table.

Plague Marine squad, completed

As you can see from the picture, I’ve kept the motif of using Goblin Green on the rim of the bases. I realize some might say the use of green on the rim is old-fashioned, but I’ve used it on all my Chaos Space Marine models, and I wanted to keep that theme going in the new models. As far as the paint scheme goes, I found the Ogryn Camo paint to be an excellent highlight of the Vallejo GC Camouflage Green. I thought it did so well I didn’t do a second highlight for the armor plates.

Continue reading “First new Plague Marine squad finished, and modifying the second squad”

Highlights on Plague Marines finished

I’m doing a quick update here on my Plague Marines. I’ve gotten all the highlighting I wanted done. It took a little longer than I expected because my time for painting came in short bursts. That led to more wasted paint than I like, but I’m glad to have the ball moved forward.

Plague Marines squad, highlights done

This squad has seen a lot of time on the painting shelf and I’m glad I’m nearing the finish line with them. I apologize about the rough lighting. While I’ve gotten my painting and hobbying space sorted out, I still haven’t gotten around to setting up proper lighting for taking pictures. I think the modified method I used to make these Plague Marines look close to my old dipped Plague Marines has worked out well so far. Continue reading “Highlights on Plague Marines finished”

Closing in on completion with the new Plague Marines

I know it’s been a while, again! But I’m back with an update. Real life and some other distractions have continued to make working on my Plague Marines a challenge, but I’ve kept the ball moving forward on them. I haven’t posted any in-progress shots of these guys, unfortunately. They did make an appearance in a previous post, though. Working on these new Plague Marines has been fun, but also a bit challenging. The models are loaded with detail, so it takes me a lot longer to paint each one, even when I’m using short cuts. The current Chaos Space Marine line troops just don’t have as much “decoration,” so to speak, so painting them is much easier. The total color palette isn’t that varied on those models. Or rather, it doesn’t have to be. With the new Plague Marines I have to make more conscious decisions on what colors to use, because the decorations aren’t just extra trim and spikes. Now there are tentacles, trophies, blight grenades, exposed mutated skin, mutated armor, and all the like. You can’t just paint all that stuff green and think it’ll look interesting on the tabletop.

Plague Marines squad, working on highlights

So as you can see above, I’ve gone through the base coats and through most of the highlights. The fellas on the left are actually done with everything. The last thing I did on them was the green armor highlights. The rest of the squad on the right has yet to have those green armor highlights.

Continue reading “Closing in on completion with the new Plague Marines”