Updates: Armies on Parade and Antares

It’s been a little while – over a month, now – since I posted. A lot of real life stuff, including a new house and moving into said house, has meant almost zero hobby time until this past week. But now that things have settled down, I’m getting back into the swing of things. So, here are a couple updates.

First up is an Armies on Parade board. After missing the last couple of Armies on Parade events, I promised my local Games Workshop shop manager I’d participate. Knowing I wouldn’t have time for something amazing with the board, and it being a little while since I did something like this, I decided to go the simple route. I wanted to do a two-tier board to keep it from being completely boring. The three options I though about were a centralized tier, an unbroken back tier, or a split back tier. As you can see, I went with the third option.

Armies on Parade board, foam

The Armies on Parade rules say the board limit size is 24″ x 24″ with no real height limit. Height wasn’t really my concern this time around. I did go for the full size limit on the board because I was concerned about running out of space. I picked up two 2′ x 2′ squares of insulation foam and a thin plywood 2′ x 2′ board from my local Home Depot, along with a 2″ brush and big bottle of wood glue. I glued the base foam square to the wood board. I figured the would would act to reinforce the foam for transport, as well as protect it in case of any accidental drops. Once that was dry, I marked off where I wanted the tier pieces to go, then I use a hot wire foam cutter to carve appropriate chunks out of the other piece of foam. I smoothed out the foam surfaces where the cuts were made and then glued the pieces down.

Continue reading “Updates: Armies on Parade and Antares”

To Antares, and beyond!

It’s been a couple of weeks since I last posted. Lots of real life stuff has taken up my free time and attention over the past few weeks, so I haven’t had time to write anything up. However, I have been able to do a little bit of hobby work.

Now, while I primarily focus on Warhammer 40k here, in no way is this blog exclusive to that game. One game that has been sitting on my shelf that I’ve been wanting to try is Beyond the Gates of Antares, which is from Warlord Games and written by Rick Priestly.

Antares models, both sides

I’ve spent some time putting the models together. In The Xilos Horizon starter box, you get models from two factions: the Ghar Empire and the Concord. I haven’t read the fluff for the milieu quite yet, but the Ghar seem kind of like a cross between 40k Orks and Tau. The Concord are pretty much just humans. A 40k equivalent would probably be Tempestus Scions.

Continue reading “To Antares, and beyond!”

Quick update on the Chaos psykers

Unfortunately I didn’t get to play today. The local Games Workshop was closed. But progress on my Chaos psykers is moving quickly. In fact, I got one of them to such a state of readiness that I expected to use him in a game. Alas, that was not to be. That gave me time to really complete him. So here is my newest Black Legion sorcerer:

Metal Sorcerer, completed, front

For whatever reason, primer seems to bond better with plastic than metal. That means both better adherence to the model and smoother, cleaner surfaces to paint. Also, the small details on the old metal models are just not that well done. Recesses in the new plastics are much deeper. That means the shades really help details pop on the newer models. On the metal ones, you still have to kinda “brute force” the highlights. It’s tedious and often frustrating.

Continue reading “Quick update on the Chaos psykers”

Work-in-progress Wednesday: “completed” today

Got this Helbrute in under the wire. I didn’t take pictures of the “in-progress” portion because my free time was taken up actually painting this model. That said, I was able to get it in under the wire to my local Games Workshop store and register it as a completion for the campaign. The local manager counts three colors and a base as “done” and I went well past that here:

New Helbrute, completed, front

This Helbrute is, of course, from the old Dark Vengeance set. I decided to paint him up in World Eater colors, so I can add to that army. I mean, shouldn’t every proper World Eaters army have at least one Helbrute? Only seems natural to me. Anyway, I’ve got to give it to the “base coat, then shade” method Duncan uses on Warhammer TV. It gets models done fast, and they actually look fairly good. Really, the shades are the key. Of all the moves GW has made with their paints range, the addition of the shades is a huge, huge benefit. You don’t have to really dilute them (unlike the old inks) and they really do flow into recesses well.

Continue reading “Work-in-progress Wednesday: “completed” today”

More adventures on Konor

Another week of the Fate of Konor campaign draws to a close. I had another battle on Friday, this time against Blood Angels. The Games Workshop store where we played was suggesting a 35 Power Level game, but since my opponent and I had much more than that, we played a game around 100 Power Levels. I ran my Death Guard and my opponent brought his Blood Angels.

2nd Konor battle, turn 1

This was my first time playing against Blood Angels in the new edition of Warhammer 40,000. I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. I knew my opponent had several drop pods, and since scatter is no longer a part of the game, I wondered what kind of threat that would be for my force.

Continue reading “More adventures on Konor”