To Antares, and beyond!

It’s been a couple of weeks since I last posted. Lots of real life stuff has taken up my free time and attention over the past few weeks, so I haven’t had time to write anything up. However, I have been able to do a little bit of hobby work.

Now, while I primarily focus on Warhammer 40k here, in no way is this blog exclusive to that game. One game that has been sitting on my shelf that I’ve been wanting to try is Beyond the Gates of Antares, which is from Warlord Games and written by Rick Priestly.

Antares models, both sides

I’ve spent some time putting the models together. In The Xilos Horizon starter box, you get models from two factions: the Ghar Empire and the Concord. I haven’t read the fluff for the milieu quite yet, but the Ghar seem kind of like a cross between 40k Orks and Tau. The Concord are pretty much just humans. A 40k equivalent would probably be Tempestus Scions.

Continue reading “To Antares, and beyond!”

New Khorne Kids In Town… a new Chaos Space Marines squad

For the most part, all the regular Chaos Space Marines units I’ve ever built have gone right into Black Legion colors. Cult troops (Khorne Berzerkers, Plague Marines, etc.) got their cult army colors, but my regular Chaos Space Marines – including transposable units like Chaos Bikers and Havocs – all were painted in Black Legion colors. There were two reasons for this. First, Black Legion was my first Chaos Space Marine force, and my first Warhammer 40,000 army to boot. Second, the Black Legion fluff always indicated that some units could be open to operating with other CSM factions. So if I wanted Nurgle-marked marines that were not Plague Marines in my Death Guard force, I rolled in some of my Black Legionnaires. I did this even in the more WYSIWYG editions with no problem. However, when I started my Khorne Daemonkin force, I decided to do up some Chaos Bikers in the red-and-gold getup. And after playing some games using my Black Legion guys as Khorne-marked CSM, I started to get the feeling that the guys in black and gold looked out of place. I really wanted a more uniform looking force. So I decided I’d put together some CSM and paint ’em up the same as the rest of my Khorne Daemonkin army.

Khorne Daemonkin CSM squad, unprimed
“Hey! He said spikes, give him spikes!”

And now I’ve finally started that process. Yes, even though the Khorne Daemonkin might cease to exist as an army, I should still be able to use the models. But, I’m hoping to have them all painted up before the next edition drops. You can see the assembled models above. The careful observer will note that I have three of the snap-fit Chaos Space Marines included in this squad. I had them laying around in the box of unbuilt models and figured, like Jack Burton says, “what the hell?” Another thing the careful observer will note is that there are two distinct shades of grey plastic on those models. Yep, that’s right. Some of those kits have been sitting in my box since pre-2007, which is when I think the CSM sprue got updated and the sprues came in a darker color.

Continue reading “New Khorne Kids In Town… a new Chaos Space Marines squad”

Adding to my Khorne Daemonkin army

So it’s been a couple months with no posts. That doesn’t mean I haven’t been working on stuff. But I have slowed down just a bit. I am working on a couple different projects, one of which is a Rhino for my Khorne Daemonkin. I’ve decided to stop using my Black Legion Rhino for my Daemonkin army and paint one up in Khornate colors.

As you can see, I’ve put the model together an primed it. At first glance, it probably doesn’t look like much. But look closer. See the trim? Yeah, it’s pretty awesome. I ordered a couple Chaos Rhino trim kits from The Dark Works in the fall, and decided to use one on the Khornate Rhino. This kit is the “Mk. II” set. I think the extra gold trim will really make the model pop, looking much better than the otherwise mundane red.

Continue reading “Adding to my Khorne Daemonkin army”

Quick painting update: Maulerfiend

I’m making progress on my other Maulerfiend and I now have all the base coats on. This phase of painting is the one I always feel is the longest, just because I end up having to go back and make so many corrections with paint going to places I didn’t intend.

First Maulerfiend, with base coats

With this one, I feel I was able to improve my technique a bit. That may sound strange from someone who’s been at this for so long (13 years, off and on), but my basing technique has always been a little slapdash, especially when thinning the paints.

Continue reading “Quick painting update: Maulerfiend”

Return to the dinobots

Well, after completing my Call of Chaos vow, I went back to working on my Khorne Daemonkin units. In this case, it’s my two Maulerfiends. They were part of another painting challenge I failed to complete, but I’ve made headway now. One of them is just in the priming stage:

First Maulerfiend, primed

The other I have actually completed. You probably notice that the lasher tendrils are off the model above. If you remember from my last post about these guys, I magnetized the changeable components. You can probably even see part of the magnet in the socket there on the side. I have to say, I really am glad I took the time to magnetize these guys. From a painting perspective, it’s nice because there are areas that would be hard to get to with a brush, but that are still very much visible. Being able to remove intervening parts has been really convenient.

Continue reading “Return to the dinobots”