Warp Talons enter the Black Legion

I was able to finish my unit of Warp Talons and get them varnished. I have to say, while the detailed Chaos Space Marine models look very cool, they also take quite some time to paint thanks to that same detail. It’s a bit of work in getting models like this done. That said, I’m pleased with how these Warp Talons turned out.

Warp Talons, completed

The Blighted Gold I used on the trim does make them stand out a little from my other Black Legion models. It’s definitely a darker, less red gold. For the varnish I used ‘Ard Coat and probably a bit too much of it. Even after a couple washes of Lahmian Medium the models still have some shiny areas. Kind of disappointing, but given how many sharp edges and points are on these models, I’d rather have them shiny than a bunch of areas with chipped off paint.

Continue reading “Warp Talons enter the Black Legion”

Taking some older models off the shelf

I wasn’t able to get the white primer I needed right away for my next batch of Plague Marines. So I took a look at my shelf to see what stuff was still a work-in-progress and what needed updating. As it turned out, I had a set of Warp Talons I’d been meaning to complete, as well as a couple units I needed to add my base adapters to. I decided to get cracking on those rather than sit and wait until I could get the primer I needed.

Warp Talons highlights

First up was my unit of Warp Talons. These guys were started back during the Fate of Konor campaign. I did them up in at least three colors just to score points during one of the painting challenges. They’ve been languishing ever since. But I’ve wanted to roll them into my Black Legion force and so I got working on them. I’d already done the base colors I needed as well as the washes. I just needed to do the highlights – though they are pretty detailed models which meant quite a bit of highlight work.

Continue reading “Taking some older models off the shelf”

More models for the Konor campaign

This week I wasn’t able to get a game in for the Konor campaign, but I was able to finish two Chaos psyker models to add points to Chaos at the local store. This actually helped get the score close to even at the shop. A few last minute completions from other folks help win the local GW for Chaos. Previously, I’d posted some pics of the Black Legion sorcerer. Here are some shots of the completed Malignant Plaguecaster:

This was an interesting model. I’ve used the same painting process I’m using on the rest of my Plague Marine squad from the Dark Imperium box, and the same I used on the Noxious Blightbringer. The one different here from the Blightbringer is that I used purple for the robes – in this case: Naggaroth Night, shaded with Druchii Violet, then layered with Xereus Purple. I’d have done a final layer of Genestealer Purple, but none of the local shops had it in stock.

Continue reading “More models for the Konor campaign”

Quick update on the Chaos psykers

Unfortunately I didn’t get to play today. The local Games Workshop was closed. But progress on my Chaos psykers is moving quickly. In fact, I got one of them to such a state of readiness that I expected to use him in a game. Alas, that was not to be. That gave me time to really complete him. So here is my newest Black Legion sorcerer:

Metal Sorcerer, completed, front

For whatever reason, primer seems to bond better with plastic than metal. That means both better adherence to the model and smoother, cleaner surfaces to paint. Also, the small details on the old metal models are just not that well done. Recesses in the new plastics are much deeper. That means the shades really help details pop on the newer models. On the metal ones, you still have to kinda “brute force” the highlights. It’s tedious and often frustrating.

Continue reading “Quick update on the Chaos psykers”

“The true power is here!” – Sorcerer complete!

I finished up the last bit of work on my Black Legion Sorcerer the other day. I’m glad to have this one finished now:

Sorcerer, complete, front
“I understand more than you could possibly know….”

The base was done in pretty much the same fashion as I did the Chaos Lord, though I did have a little trouble with the tufts this time. Not sure if I was tired or what, but I ended up ruining two of them. Hopefully the layer of ‘Ard Coat I put on this guy with hold up and prevent paint chips from occurring. It’s always tricky that way with metal models.

Continue reading ““The true power is here!” – Sorcerer complete!”