Working on a Dino-bot (or two!)

It’s been way too long since my last post. Over a month, in fact. That’s a bit shameful. Anyway, I tried to keep up with the E Tenebrae Lux V competition over at the Bolter & Chainsword, but I just couldn’t do it. Too much real life came tumbling down on my head. That said, I did get work done on one of my models, so that’s a lot better than previous building and painting challenges I’ve been involved in over there. So without further ado, here’s what I’ve been working on (off and on):

The first dino-bot I built.
The first dino-bot I built.

I’ve been working on two Forgefiends/Maulerfiends. The “/” is because I’ve magnetized the heck out of these things, allowing me to convert the fiends to any configuration I want. The magnets hold pretty well, though there are a couple places I used smaller magnets when I should have gone larger (stronger). I expect to usually use them in the Maulerfiend configuration, but it’s always nice to be prepared. And given the price of these kits, I’d much rather deal with the minor headaches the magnets cause then pay for a bunch more kits.

Here's the second fiend I put together.
Here’s the second fiend I put together.

I really like these kits. The Chaos Space Marines have a dearth of new kits, which is really unfortunate. Some of the models in the current range date back to the late 1990’s. Hopefully that will change with some upcoming releases. But the fiends are one of the new kits, and they really look great put together. The kit is also well-made for magnetizing. Most of the joints are easy enough to work on, though they do take some time. Once you have the magnets in place, the pieces of the fiend go together nicely.

This fiend is about 75 percent done!
This fiend is about 75 percent done!

So one of the fiends, in its Forgefiend configuration, is pretty much done. Above is a picture from about three stages to its current condition. I used Nuln Oil to shade the whole thing, then did some highlights on the gold with Liberator Gold, and highlights on the flesh. I also dry-brushed the base with different shades of grey. I’ll try to post a finished shot in the next day or two. Hopefully, I’ll also have time to work on the other fiend, which is only primed black right now.

As always, thanks for looking!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

© The Chainsword Surprise